Runboard.com
You're welcome.

~TALK SMACK IN EXILE~
Revolutionizing the way we... uhm, talk smack.


runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
AUEaglesBH Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 08-2012
Posts: 63
Karma: -1 (+1/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

apd09 wrote:

quote:

DCKnights wrote:

What is the general consensus about pool play?

Do people like this format better than the previous tournament format?



I don't hate it, I think it's kind of fun.

But I would defiantly throw in the snake draft pod pairings thrown around in years past. Let the top teams truly get their advantage for their position and pick the teams they want in their pod.

THAT would make the current format even better. How embarrassing would it be for a 1 seed to not advance after they picked the 3 teams in their pod.



I think this is the change that would push the current format from good to great.
8/Aug/15, 3:05 am Link to this post Send Email to AUEaglesBH   Send PM to AUEaglesBH
 
DCKnights Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 07-2015
Posts: 33
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

AUEaglesBH wrote:

quote:

apd09 wrote:

quote:

DCKnights wrote:

What is the general consensus about pool play?

Do people like this format better than the previous tournament format?



I don't hate it, I think it's kind of fun.

But I would defiantly throw in the snake draft pod pairings thrown around in years past. Let the top teams truly get their advantage for their position and pick the teams they want in their pod.

THAT would make the current format even better. How embarrassing would it be for a 1 seed to not advance after they picked the 3 teams in their pod.



I think this is the change that would push the current format from good to great.



I agree, I would like to see snake draft as well. Would give teams more incentive during the regular season.
10/Aug/15, 8:07 am Link to this post Send Email to DCKnights   Send PM to DCKnights
 
NINJA Terp Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 1183
Karma: 55 (+85/-30)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

DCKnights wrote:
I agree, I would like to see snake draft as well. Would give teams more incentive during the regular season.



While I think that this would be amusing, to say the least, I've got three issues covering $0.02 with the snake-draft format -

1) I believe that most coaches wouldn't care that much. Further, for those that did care, I would feel bad for the fringe players on the team - all of a sudden, if you feel the need to get into the top 18-or so, your in-game coaching becomes a bit more towards winning versus participation (i.e. batting 10 when you've got 15 guys and 5 girls). Where's my motivation for coming to games, then? I'm probably going to get a random pinch-running experience. Woot. You'll likely see CAN participation go down.

2) The logistics of setting up that draft would likely be a bit challenging and the draft itself would be a total s***show. We can barely keep things down to a murmur during the bracket presentation... what if we actually needed to HEAR what was being said? Seriously, we're a bunch of rude participants at the bracket party. I could barely hear Ashley this year and I was sitting right next to her.

3) The importance of stats increases. I would cease to publish any of my analysis. They would offer a competitive advantage and I'd rather support my coach than all the other coaches. I realize that this sounds uber douchey, but given this format, I'm not even sorry. I would, however, enjoy giving out my PayPal account.

Image

Last edited by NINJA Terp, 10/Aug/15, 8:44 am
10/Aug/15, 8:42 am Link to this post Send Email to NINJA Terp   Send PM to NINJA Terp
 
OhYouAteOneToo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+12/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


I could not agree with Ninja any more on this. While that might be a fun way for a group of guys to do at a corner table somewhere, I don't see this as a viable option. Another reason why I don't like this option is how it degrades the lower seeds. I know Nubbins is frustrated by playing on a team that loses more than it wins and is quickly swept out of the tourney each year. How do you think he would feel seeing coaches lining up and salivating over the chance to select his team to play in the tourney? Ok, maybe a bad example because Nubbins gets trashed and doesn't care by noon on Saturday anyway, but you get the idea. It was no fun being the last kid picked for a team in grade school and it is the same sort of thing here. Not really the sort of spirit that CAN play is intended to provide.
10/Aug/15, 10:00 am Link to this post Send Email to OhYouAteOneToo   Send PM to OhYouAteOneToo
 
NINJA Terp Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 1183
Karma: 55 (+85/-30)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

OhYouAteOneToo wrote:

Another reason why I don't like this option is how it degrades the lower seeds.



Didn't even think about this angle. As someone that comes from a team with historical success, I'm also a bit ashamed that that never crossed my mind.

Brilliant observation, John.





Last edited by NINJA Terp, 10/Aug/15, 11:26 am
10/Aug/15, 11:25 am Link to this post Send Email to NINJA Terp   Send PM to NINJA Terp
 
neutron man Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 07-2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 131
Karma: -6 (+9/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


Any idea how often (this year or previously) there are three-way ties with two wins? That would really be my only beef with the pod format--and not enough of an objection to switch back to double elimination. Winning 2 of 3 group games should be enough to advance to the next round, and it sucks that in this case, a tiebreaker (that is not head-to-head result) would decide who moves on. This is the only aspect that I would try to improve, but I don't really know what could be done about it, so hopefully it is a very rare occurrence.
10/Aug/15, 11:37 am Link to this post Send Email to neutron man   Send PM to neutron man
 
NINJA Terp Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 1183
Karma: 55 (+85/-30)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

neutron man wrote:

Winning 2 of 3 group games should be enough to advance to the next round, and it sucks that in this case, a tiebreaker (that is not head-to-head result) would decide who moves on.



This isn't a correct statement. The three-way tie-breakers in group play are specifically designed such that whatever team is immediately above you, you have lost to. The runs against aspect takes a team out and then it goes back to head to head.

If RA is the only arbiter, you find yourself with the potential of finishing immediately behind a team you beat.

You're right that it's a tough situation. If you can make a compelling argument for an alternative, I'm sure that the sports chairs would love to hear about it.

I understand the other path.

10/Aug/15, 11:57 am Link to this post Send Email to NINJA Terp   Send PM to NINJA Terp
 
neutron man Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 07-2007
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 131
Karma: -6 (+9/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

NINJA Terp wrote:

This isn't a correct statement. The three-way tie-breakers in group play are specifically designed such that whatever team is immediately above you, you have lost to. The runs against aspect takes a team out and then it goes back to head to head.



Looking at the results and the explanations for breaking these ties, I see where it references that head-to-head is used twice to determine first the winner and then the runner-up. However, it will always work out that the team that gave up the most runs does not advance, because the group winner will always be the team that lost to the highest-RA team and defeated the other team. Thus, the highest-RA team will lose the runner-up head-to-head. As such, RA is the determinant of who does not advance.

I am all for the pod system, and this is the only aspect that I would like to change. It's certainly not a deal-breaker (unless we had an excessive amount of this type of tie--I would not consider this year's two ties excessive, and I don't know about previous years), though, and I really wish I had a good alternative, but I don't. Alas, it's probably just something we have to live with.
10/Aug/15, 2:17 pm Link to this post Send Email to neutron man   Send PM to neutron man
 
JBell9 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 08-2013
Posts: 10
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

NINJA Terp wrote:

If you can make a compelling argument for an alternative, I'm sure that the sports chairs would love to hear about it.

I understand the other path.




MINI-BRACKET!!! Been pushing this since the pods started. A four-team round robin has six games. A four-team mini-bracket has five. Three of the four teams are guaranteed three games (when you take the SE weekend into consideration). Less to deal with if there's inclement weather.

If there's an extra team, like there should have been this year, you have to do a five-team round robin, 10 games, or three three-team round robins (awful) at only three games each. Or you just make a five-team mini-bracket (7 total games) without having to break up any of the other four-team groups.

There are no tie-breakers. Teams can substitute according to the actual game situation without worrying about giving up additional runs. The schedule can likely be set up such that the last game of each bracket, both days, determines a team that's advancing. DRAMA (that doesn't involve a calculator).
10/Aug/15, 4:14 pm Link to this post Send Email to JBell9   Send PM to JBell9
 
longshanks78 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 08-2009
Posts: 281
Karma: -5 (+9/-14)
Reply | Quote
Re: First Three Years of Pool Play - A Look Back


quote:

JBell9 wrote:


MINI-BRACKET!!! Been pushing this since the pods started. A four-team round robin has six games. A four-team mini-bracket has five. Three of the four teams are guaranteed three games (when you take the SE weekend into consideration). Less to deal with if there's inclement weather.

If there's an extra team, like there should have been this year, you have to do a five-team round robin, 10 games, or three three-team round robins (awful) at only three games each. Or you just make a five-team mini-bracket (7 total games) without having to break up any of the other four-team groups.

There are no tie-breakers. Teams can substitute according to the actual game situation without worrying about giving up additional runs. The schedule can likely be set up such that the last game of each bracket, both days, determines a team that's advancing. DRAMA (that doesn't involve a calculator).



I like it, although I haven't tried to think of the negatives that others might. You could also add a consolation game between the first 2 teams out in each mini bracket to guarantee each team 3 games.

Frankly, I don't mind the pod system, but also haven't been involved in a tiebreaker either.
10/Aug/15, 4:26 pm Link to this post Send Email to longshanks78   Send PM to longshanks78
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)
_uacct = "UA-1981555-2"; urchinTracker();